The bitter pill of the tax system was perhaps a God's test on various things. For one, it was a test on whether I'm willing to let go of something that is absolutely mundane. It was also a test on whether I'm honest with myself and not give in to illegal temptations. And lastly, and most importantly, it was a test on how much encouragement my loved ones would provide me, during such trying times. I'm glad that I survived that, with the help of my loved ones.
God is fair, at least to me. Whenever he put me through some ordeal, he'd provide me with the pacifier after. Through the test, I learnt a lot. And this time, perhaps, at a lower price that I would have to pay. Just realized that while I lost $1.3k to the govt, Sony put an extra $2.2k into my US CPF as a recognition of 1 full year of service. That turned out to be around $1.3 of after tax dollars!
This got me thinking a little. Perception is such an intriguing phenomenon. The tax is something which I know everyone has to pay. I didn't feel that I had lost as much for that $10k of tax that was withheld. And yet, this unexpected extra $1.3k in taxes actually made me feel that it was a big loss, when it's only 10% of what I had paid in taxes. Yet on the other hand, when I received the letter from Sony saying that it had contributed an extra $2.2k into my US CPF, I felt that I had gained, when it's something that happens to every Sony employee. In the end, both effect neutralized each other. The element of surprise seems play a pretty interesting role in this. Without surprise, I wouldn't feel that I had lost $1.3 k in tax dollars. If I had seen the deposit in US CPF coming, I wouldn't have felt that I have gained as much.
Anyway, I thank God. I thank everyone who has been good to me. You are the reason why my life is interesting. You are the reason why life is beautiful. I thank you.