|
|
|
Marching towards the end of Y2K9
As the year approaches its end, it's also the time to reflect upon the year and plan for the following year.
The year 2008 was deemed as a bad year, primarily of the first dramatic recession of my lifetime, and within the first year of my entrance into the working world. At the end of 2008, I remembered telling myself that the year 2009 will be better. Now, is it really better? Let's just take a look. The first half of the year was really bleak, especially with the looming massive restructuring within the company, which happened in June. Those were really bad times especially those with families. But I guess, God took care of me and decided I should stay on in the States, perhaps for a couple reasons. When I thought that was one of the lowest points in my life, in July, the demise of my beloved grandmother proved me totally wrong. Like a stock market, there is no real low point nor a real high point. When you think it's the lowest and things can only go up, it can still go lower and likewise for the other case. But the former argument of things will get better is perhaps in a longer run. Things will get better, eventually, and if things are too good, it'll burst eventually. It's only in the aftermath then you can determine the real lowest point, and the real highest point. The demise of my grandmother marked a turning point in my life. Perhaps, that is the lowest point in the year of 2009. Perhaps grandmother who gave her blessings to me after she rose to heaven so that things get better. Or perhaps someone re-entered my life to trigger the series of improvements. In the later part of the year, my life regained balance. For one, my life became complete with my love taking up the place in my heart. :) Then the stock market improved and I recouped some 80% of my battered investments, though it kinda dropped back a little again. Then comes a switch to a new team within the company which complements my personal objectives. There're also prizes won from the make.believe contest and the tech symposium; I haven't really won prizes since a decade ago! I thank God, Grandmother and my love for the series of good fortune that occurred. Things happen for a reason, and will work out in the end. I could still remember how much I complained about the raise in company's gym fees from $5 to $20 per month just because they got a bigger and better gym. In the end, I landed up in a commercial gym, which is only $12.50 a mth and has much better facilities like an indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steamer room. The retrenchment causes me to move on to a team that is more relevant to my ideals, and of course, I do not have to rush and pull all-nighters this year, like I had last year to rush out a product. I believe God has this all planned out, and addresses any grievances that I may have. Or maybe it's the result of a really valuable lesson that I learnt from God, that is to seek what you really wanted. Like, when the gym prices rose, I started seeking out better pastures and landed with a better deal. When the retrenchment comes, and I knew about the reorganization, I approached my manager to ask if I could switch teams and he gladly helped me do so. When I met my love, my active engagement has perhaps brought us closer and over the line. This was totally unlike what I was in the past when I'd just resign to fate and see how things turn out. I realized in this world, if you want something, you'd have to go get it. No one is going to give it to you. Or perhaps, the only people who'd do so is your family and your love. Too much talk. Now on to objectives. I'm glad that I managed to reach my financial objectives by year end, owing to the series of prize money and IP submits. I may have achieved it in a more secure manner, if IPD were quicker in processing the submits. They still owe me a bunch of $$!!! Oh well, whatever... as long as it comes eventually. And I still met this objective. My relationship objective is certainly met, though that isn't my number one objective. Like yuan yuan chun, if it comes, then of course it's perfect, but if it doesn't it's still good, since I have other objectives to meet. I'm glad that my love isn't one that expects me to give 100% of my time to her :). After all, she's as busy as I am, which is good at this stage of life. =) My technical knowledge objective has certainly been met owing to the last quarter of the year. The first half of the year was pretty much rushing to get the product out on time and making sure the product doesn't break. Not that my knowledge is perfect now, in fact, it can never be perfect. But it's already a very good start, since 2010 is the year for it to really escalate. That said, 2010 is perhaps an even more challenging year than 2009 and may mark another significant milestone in my life. There's so much to do, and so much to learn that the mere thought of it daunts me at times. Oh well, I shall see what I get out of it by the year-end review of 2010. |
|
***Try dragging me and my friends *** =)
|
|