Americans Vs Singaporeans.
"To chase eight golds was not arrogance, it was simply desperately brave. If he failed, so be it, but he was willing to try. History anyway is never made by the faint-hearted."
One of the few things I admire about Americans is their drive to win. When they want to win, they make sure they do. This really is something which is lacking in many Singaporeans, especially myself. I'm not saying this because Phelps got his eighth goal and surpassed Mark Spitz, and under tremendous pressure, while Feng lost his gold and had to settle for a silver. But I've seen many cases where an American wants to win in a competition. That drive. That motivation. The hunger for victory is scary. In comparison, many Singaporeans just cave in to pressure and settle for the next to best most of the time when they know that they're somewhere there already. Of course there are a few exceptions, or even more than a few exceptions. At least for me, I know I have much to learn from them in this area.