|
|
|
A friend told me this story. There was once a bird and a chicken. The bird was feeding on some coconut on the top of the tree, and the chicken at the bottom of the tree could only stare at the bird eating the coconut, or search around for its own food. One day, the chicken asked the bird to drop one coconut for it to eat, and the bird did. While the chicken was busy eating the coconut, a fox came by and eat the chicken up.
The moral of the story is if you are at the bottom, you'd better not be caught slacking. If you want to slack, make sure you're at the top. Really, is that true? Maybe. But that totally doesn't hold true for my Senior Vice President (SVP). My colleague was giving a demo yesterday, and I was totally impressed by the way the SVP response. For one thing, the SVP's response to the demo and the technology was totally different from the rest of the people in the room. Everyone was marveling at the demo, but he was pointing out that the demo was too constrained and not what he was expecting. What he wanted was something that was sufficiently generalized so that it encompassed what was demonstrated, ie a superset of that. And don't think he was sitting on the top and doesn't know what's happening below. He could even get up and went to one of the computers and looked for the stuff he wanted to check. I mean, he really knows what he's doing, what he's talking about and how to check what he wants! And this is in the technical area, totally nothing related to the business side! And of course, this technology isn't used in the TV sector yet, and the fact that he knows quite a bit of technical stuff about it, really impressed me. I don't even have a clue on what was happening inside the black box man. 我真的是太嫩了! ok... Bill Gates, after all, was a brilliant software engineer at his time. But much to learn. Every point he makes was strong and make total sense. My respects. Still chasing the taiwan drama series. Exhausted the latest episode alr... damn sian. haha~ Addicted to it so much that I really go make myself a 蛋包饭 for dinner tonight. wahahha~ Damn shiok! Wheeee! Anyway, I just discovered a really good news yesterday! Of course, good news for myself only lahz. wahaha~ I just realized the company is going file one of my ideas as a patent, and yes, under my name! ... as the author lahz. Really didn't expect that coming. But yeah, am happy with myself for acheiving something like that just a few months into my work life with totally no related work experience, and at this age of 25... ok... there're many more people who have done similar things even at a younger age than I am. But it's still a personal achievement for me. :) Alright, one good step to prove my worth to the company, and more importantly, to prove that my manager didn't hire the wrong person. I was after all a college nerd with absolutely no work or intern experience, who flunked in all the competitions he went for... Oh well, anyway, that's the birthday present I gave my dad. =) Hope he'll be as proud of me like I am as proud of the invention. I'm glad I have not let him down. |
|
***Try dragging me and my friends *** =)
|
|