Gurus. It really amazes me, and at the same time, dampens my confidence in the engineering field that people could be so good at what they specialize in. Building the linux kernel is already a pain for me, and to think he could actually edit the kernel and write steps on how to do it after doing loads of simplification on his part. Oh well, I guess that's what 20 years of experience is about. Does that mean I'll be like him 20 years later if I stay in the engineering field? How much work would I have to put in to achieve this? All these code, all the facets of software engineering. It's so broad, and none of them actually come naturally to me. I'm only doing okay in the field because of my acquired skills and my cognitive abilities.
Oh well, what then comes naturally to me? These days, what comes naturally does not necessarily equate to practical for a living. Well, I guess I have much to learn. This world is getting increasingly complexed for the simple mind that I have. And I totally understand what teachers say by "live till old, learn till old". What you learn in school really is just the tip of the iceberg in a progressive field.
Talking about progressive field. If we don't keep up with the society, we will really be dropped far behind in no time. I literally saw it in my office. Progress is truly amazing. I merely turned my attention away from something for a few weeks, and when I returned, I find that my software is so much outdated compared to the current one. Really, progress in this age, is so much faster than in the past, because we have much larger population now and much better and diversed technology. It's just so amazing. And I can't believe I am actually one of those who're helping to push technology forward. Awww.