|
|
|
The Bane of my Life
Being too nice, that is. Too nice for my own good. This definition of nice here is being too considerate for others and seriously discomforting oneself as a result. I have finally concluded that this is going to haunt me for the rest of my life, and every single aspect of it, be it business, sports, love... basically everything that involves competition. Some people like it, which explains why my buddy is so close to me. Others take advantage of it. How so, one may ask? Business-wise: Had successfully gotten a $50 advertisement fee from a local restaurant, which was a pretty good deal considering that I know my conditions of the deal is a really bad one. It was during MWG when I asked the restaurant if they want to sponsor, saying that more than 200 people are coming over for games and would need some place to have lunch/dinner. I know, for certain, beforehand that no one would even bother reading the advertisement, and thus no one would actually partronise the store. But what I did was to take the initiative gather orders from those coming and order from that store so that I won't feel so bad asking for the ad fee. Well, that's so much for being nice. The guy wouldn't even give a puny discount for large orders and even gave so little meat for the biryani, making me feel so bad actively recommending the restaurant. Oh well. Sports: Basketball in particular. Normally I play according to the standards of the opponents, and strive to control the points as much as possible so that the opponents don't feel bad getting thrashed. In this case, I don't mind being taken advantage of, as I know perfectly well whether I'm below or above the opponents' standards. So the results don't really matter. Friendship-wise: 1) Offered to help a friend to carry stuff from sg, and in the end carried a whole lot of stuff over, almost as much as what I have to bring over! Even offered to help another friend to carry a big textbook over by hand when my luggage is already fully packed and she asked me why I never help another friend since she didn't need me to carry that textbook. KNS! 2) Offered apartment space to store friends' stuff over summer, and in the end got the entire living room laden with stuff, causing unhappiness in apartment mates and discomfort to everyone. Another result of being nice. Side Note: One thing about making friends is sincerity. *hints... the last piece of the jigsaw in some random entry of the past* If you make it past the friendship level, I'd go out of my way to help, otherwise, it's help when approached. It's against my principle to make friends if I don't feel good rendering help in the first place. That would just be despicable. 笑里藏刀. Definitely not something I'd do. Friends should be aboveboard and clean. If I have something to hide, I'd rather forgo that friend, however useful that friend could be, until that issue is resolved. That's my principle in friendship-building, and there's no compromise to that. However, masks are commonplace in the army. So does the corporate world. All the backstabbing just so that one can take another step up the corporate ladder. In my world of friends, this cannot be condoned! Such a person would probably remain a business client / colleague status in the most. So if you are my friend, you are in luck :). Love: Ahh... my weakness shows up terribly here, be it past or present. Not exactly a pleasant thing to talk about on a public private blog. So much for being a nice person I am. The result is much negative emotions to spice up my life. Perhaps I'm sent to this world by God to help. PS: Someone touched my baby seal key-chain (w/o the chain of course... it fell off). I think I could guess who it was (Scarly is myself :P). |
|
***Try dragging me and my friends *** =)
|
|