Thursday, September 21, 2006
Been really really busy these days... esp when there's career fair around and stupid non-scholars like me have to go look for a good rice bowl...

Sad to say that most of the companies don't really deal with power electronics. Many of them are like semi conductors company... Oh well... thinking of switching over to microelectronics again manz... hey, that's the "in" thing in EE these days k!!! Moreover, Singapore is one of the main exporters of wafers (not those strawberry ones unfortunately).

I guess I really lose out a great deal having not done any interns in my first summer. gah... too bad... will see how it goes...

Anyway, today isn't as bad as yesterday... Finally I chanced upon 2 companies which are closer to what I'm doing, and hence won't have to fake that i'm specializing in microelectronics. Yeah, Regal Beloit and PowerMation. The former is pretty established, and they deal with motors and stuff. Very close to what I expect to do in the next 2 yrs. The other one, is actually more pertinent to what I plan to do long term. Basically they are in sales and consulting, and the role of EE in that company analyses the relevance of the motors to a customer and stuff like that. Pretty exciting and much less technical... Am actually quite excited about that!

General Electric was pretty scary. While others only have 2-4 people at the booth, they have a whole crowd of at least 10 people!!! you can see that bunch of people in red over there... And for a moment, i thought they were from high school student organization...

Oh well, it's really gonna be a busy semester. All the companies are coming back again in october for interviews... Guess I'd gonna spend quite a bit of time going for some of them... Been giving out quite a number of resumes... Don't really know how many companies should I approach... I just went to as many as I'd feel related.

Here's an interesting observation from the fair about not being very "green".

Me: Hey I'm an EE senior graduating next may and I'm interested in areas like Power Electronics and Microelectronics. Is your company thinking of hiring Engineers in this area?
Her: Oh hi! Our company does this... and that... and yeah sure we do have some areas which is related to Power Electronics... ... Do you have a resume?
Me: Yeah sure!
*passes resume to her*
Me: So do you hire internationals?
Her: Uh... no...
Me: Oh...

Or another extract would be:
*eyeing on that interesting souvenir behind him*
Me: Oh Hi! I'm an EE graduating next May and looking for a job. Could you please tell me what your company does?
Him: Yeah sure... This is what we do... bla bla bla... Do you have a resume?
*stares at him and tries very hard to look interested. *
Me: Oh yeah, sure I do. Here it is.
*unwillingly passes resume to him*
*talks some more*
Me: hmm, this is pretty interesting! I sure like pumping oil from the seabed. Could I have that nice bottle behind you?

Or sometimes, it's just too embarrassing to not talk to the person whom you accidentally made eye contact with and she smiles warmly back at you, but you are totally uninterested with that company.
*Has gotta take the initiative to say something to save myself from embarrassment*
Me: Oh Hi, so what's your company doing?
Her: Hi!
*And she goes on to talk about the company and me nodding at intervals to look enthusiastic*
Me: hmm, that sure sounds interesting. I guess I have to go. Nice meeting you.

Oh well, that is Engineering Career Fair... Not sure whether I'd get any jobs or interviews, but I sure did get quite a bit of stuff... hehe~ Koped like a few more interesting light pens today so that I can give them to my nieces back home. They'd sure like those... Oh yeah, and they kinda look expensive... hehe~ or at least better than those 50c red leaf pens...

Alright, this fair has been sapping away all my energy and time. Now time for work!!! HW due tomorrow!!! And I still have no idea how to do it!!! the TA for the discussion session just now just sux... Had so much stuff on the agenda and yet was still so disorganized and unprepared. Gah... didn't get much outta it... Time for another 2 discussions later... Today is really a crazy day with 5 straight hrs (9-2pm) of classes in the morning and 4 supposedly straight hrs of classes now in the afternoon from 4-9pm!!! Who the hell has 9 hrs of classes in a day in college??? Siao!!! Oh, did i not mention that 2 hrs in between was taken up by the career fair? Yeah, that means I'm pretty much out from 9-9pm!!! Other than the short 20 min i spent at home, trying to wash up and keep myself awake. Long day...

Work Work Work...

***Try dragging me and my friends *** =)

X BzBodies in the Realm Of Life

X K-poes left The Realm Of Life


Blogs

My bro's Lengthy Blog
WeiLing's Nascent Blog
Peilin the Healer's Brollies
Mao yuan's fabulous blog
Yuan Chun the lousy bballer's thinkin blog
Nic's Unparalleled Blog
Michelle's Pink Journal


Inspiration Quotes

Maybe God wants us to meet a few wrong people before meeting the right one so that when we finally meet the right person, we will know how to be grateful for that gift

When the door of happiness closes, another opens, but often times we look so long at the closed door that we don't see the one which has been opened for us.

The best kind of friend is the kind you can sit on a porch and swing with, never say a word, and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had.

It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives.

Giving someone all your love is never an assurance that they'll love you back! Don't expect love in return; just wait for it to grow in their heart but if it doesn't, be content it grew in yours. It takes only a minute to get a crush on someone, an hour to like someone, and a day to love someone, but it takes a lifetime to forget someone.

Don't go for looks; they can deceive. Don't go for wealth; even that fades away. Go for someone who makes you smile because it takes only a smile to make a dark day seem bright. Find the one that makes your heart smile.

There are moments in life when you miss someone so much that you just want to pick them from your dreams and hug them for real!

Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be, because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human, enough hope to make you happy.

Always put yourself in others' shoes. If you feel that it hurts you, it probably hurts the other person, too.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything that comes along their way.

Happiness lies for those who cry, those who hurt, those who have searched, and those who have tried, for only they can appreciate the importance of people who have touched their lives. Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss and ends with a tear. The brightest future will always be based on a forgotten past, you can't go on well in life until you let go of your past failures and heartaches.

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying.